This Blog is About

Craft News - Crafter Views- And So Many How Tos!
Polymer Clay, Air Dry Clay, Dollhouse Miniatures, One-of-a-Kind Dolls, Bears, Nail Art, and So Many Other Crafts Large and Small.

Monday, July 27, 2009

How To: Homemade Playdough

The smell of this stuff alone is enough to bring back my own childhood memories. I love this stuff. It will dry out in the air and beleive it or not is quite hard. I use the stuff to make molds for my polymer clay creations and it has a little shrinking that occurs which is quite nice since I love making miniatures, anything I mold from it does get a bit smaller once completely dry.

I do not know about this recipe as I have not personally tried it out but the real Play-Doh that I buy from the store is great for making molds and I have not seen any cracks in my molds. I have used cheaper brands of Play-Doh not by the original manufacturer and they shrink more and tend to have some cracks in some molds while some had none at all.

In addition you can now use Play-Doh with polymer clay cane production. You make the cane image and if you wish to keep the shape of the image like lets say a fish for example, you would wrap the surrounding areas of the fish with the Play-Doh rather than using translucent clay and or a polymer clay border. Most canes are round or square but the images within are the shape they take. By using the Play-Doh you can bake the clay canes so the shape remains for easy slicing of the cane. You then can wash off the Play-Doh from the existing polymer Clay image shape and the shape should remain without the need for a border.

See the video I have provided here below:


This is great for the kids, its Summer so let them have some fun with something easy and cheep to make and easy to clean up after as well.

Enjoy!
Apartment Therapy ohdeedoh How To: Homemade Playdough

Cre8ively Yours
Andrea "Cre8"

No comments:

Post a Comment